Charlesworth built bodies on many makes of cars, at a factory used from 1903-7 by the Standard Motor Company in Much Park Street, Coventry. Alvis being one of the common users of their coachwork and they were neighbours with Alvis. Charlesworth had been formed by three partners and they had a licence for the Weymann body, but the company failed and was bought from bankruptcy to become Charlesworth Bodies (1931). Charlesworth spent the Second World War building aircraft components, and restarted coachbuilding in a small way in 1946 before closing in 1950. The premises were then taken over by Lea-Francis where the bodies of Lea-Francis Fourteen, Eighteen and Sports were built until the end of that company.
Alvis Speed 25 1931 - coachbuilders plate (Charlesworth) on the door sill