Founded as Société Industrielle de Mécanique et de Carrosserie Automobile in 1935, Simca made Fiat-derived cars until 1951 before launching its own Simca Aronde. In 1954 Simca bought Ford France and continued production of the Vedette ('Ford Vedette') at the Ford's Poissy plant. Simca production focussed on Poissy and in 1961 the Nanterre plant was sold to Citroen. Simca launched the Ariane model in 1957, a development of the Ford Vedette body with Simca Aronde mechanics. Simca then bought out French Talbot but did little with this brand. Chrysler took control in 1968, and arranged for the Simca Aronde to be built by Chrysler Australia. Simca launched the front wheel drive 1100 in 1968 and in 1969 Chrysler-Simca bought out the automotive side of Matra. By 1970 Chrysler owned 99.3% of Simca and changed the name to Chrysler France, dropping the Simca badges from the cars. In 1978 Chrysler backed out of Europe leaving Chrysler France and the British Rootes group to be picked up by Peugeot, and 'Talbot-Simca' to be badged on the French cars.
aa Simca 9 Aronde 1954 badge
Simca 9 Aronde 1954 - badge on bonnet
aa Simca 90A Aronde 1957 Sedan badge
Simca 90A Aronde 1957 Sedan. The second version of the Aronde, the 90A, was launched in October 1955 with an upgraded 1,290cc 'Flash' engine