Lea-Francis was formed as a cycle manufacturer in Coventry in 1895 by Richard Lea and Graham Francis. They explorered the idea of car manufacture in 1903 with an ill-fated 3-cylinder car. Motorcycle manufacture enabled the company to grow from 1912-1924 and gave them confidence to venture again into car manufacture. The Great Depression hit Lea-Francis and by 1937 they had failed. Rescued from receivership in 1937, a new Twelve and Fourteen models were announced with a twin overhead cam engine by Hugh Rose. Production restarted in 1946 with the 4-light saloon and 'Woody' Station Wagon version. From 1949 Lea-Francis had the Hugh Rose 2½litre engine, but this was problematical and did not live up to its promise. By 1953 car manufacture had ceased.
Lea-Francis 14/70 1949 6-light saloon - badge on bootlid