Henry Ford had fallen out with the Ford Motor Company and opened a factory in 1918 to build Tractors. The name 'Fordson' (from Henry Ford and Son) was used on these Tractors as someone had set up a Tractor Company in Minneapolis using the name 'Ford Tractor Company'. Henry Ford regained control of the Ford Motor Company in 1919. 'Fordson' was retained on Ford Tractors, and production was transferred first to Cork and then to Dagenham. The name 'Fordson' was then given to Ford commercial vehicles built in Britain from 1933 until 1939. From 1939 to 1957 British Ford Commercials used the name 'Fordson Thames' to mark the opening of the Dagenham production. From 1957 to 1965 'Ford Thames' was used, and afterwards simply 'Ford'.
Fordson E83W 1951 Van - badge on bonnet. 1951 was the final year for the 'Fordson' badge on the E83W, from 1952 it carried the 'Thames' badge.
Fordson E88W 1940 25cwt Van - badge on grille
Fordson E494C 1950 van - badge on bonnet
Fordson Major E27N Tractor. Badge on bonnet. The 'Major' was first used on the postwar E27N from 1948 to 1951 when a 'New Major' replaced the E27N. The Fordson Power Major came out in 1958 and the Super Major in 1960
Fordson Model Y 1937 Van. British Ford adopted the name 'Fordson' for its commercials from the mid-1930s; it was already used on Tractors produced in Eire and Britain.
Fordson Thames ET6 4D 1951 Box Van, The name 'Fordson' was used up until 1957
Fordson Model Y 1937 Van. Later Ford Y Commercials were badged 'Fordson', had a longer radiator, and only six louvres on the bonnet sides
Fordson E83W 1951 Van. Produced at the Dagenham plant from 1938 to 1957 alongside the Fordson tractors. The E83W was a half-ton commercial based on the mechanics of the Ford Ten. An 1,172cc sidevalve engine sat beside the driver and its modest power was only good for around 40mph. From 1938 to 1951 the E83W was sold under the 'Fordson' brand and from 1952 as the 'Ford Thames'.
Fordson E88W 1940 25cwt Van. The Fordson Model 61 (or E88W) was rated at 25/35 cwt and was powered by the flathead Ford 3,621cc V8 engine. This vehicle was also developed into the Fordson WOT military trucks
Fordson Model N 1941. Normal engine was a 4.4-litre petrol or kerosene, but a Perkins diesel has been fitted to this one, a popular conversion postwar as diesel became a cheap fuel.