E.B. Hall & Company was an established coachbuilder of horse-drawn carriages and evolved into building some very fine coachwork on thoroughbred cars. Established separately under the name Kelvin Carriage Company in 1924, the name 'Carlton Carriage Company' was adopted in 1925. They had received the licence to use Weymann System coachbuilding techniques. Carlton ceased building bodies in 1939 and did not restart after the War.