Chrysler redesigned its Imperial bodies for 1964 at the hands of Elwood Engel who had joined Chrysler from Ford and appeared to take his Lincoln drawings along for the ride. Engel produced a squared off spare tyre shape on the bootlid and a split front grille. For 1965 the grille was given a crossbar and the lights went behind covers. The Imperial was built on a frame dating back to 1955; Imperial was the last Chrysler to go unibody. !964 Imperials were built as 2-door or 4-door hardtops, and a 2-door convertible, the 4-door sold in 'Crown' or the higher 'LeBaron' trims.
aa Imperial Crown 1965 Coupe badge
Imperial Crown 1965 Coupe. Badge on c-pillar. 1965 Imperials were offered in both 'Crown' and 'LeBaron' levels of trim. The LeBaron was more expensive and only offered on the 4-door hardtop
ac Imperial Crown 1965 Coupe head
Imperial Crown 1965 Coupe, Chryslers top model with 6,768cc Hemi V8. The split grille of 1964 was restyled by Elwood Engel for 1965 with a crossbar and headlamps behind perspex covers
Imperial Crown 1965 Coupe front
Imperial Crown 1965 Coupe, Chryslers top model with 6,768 cc 340bhp V8. The 2-door hardtop only sold 3,974 to the 4-door hardtop 11,628.
Imperial Crown 1965 Coupe rear
Imperial Crown 1965 Coupe. A horizontal rear light bar was a distinctive feature by Elwood Engel on the 1964 and 1965 Imperials. These were offered in 'Crown' or the 'LeBaron' trims.