Francis and William Crossley bought out the engineering company of John M Dunlop in Manchester in 1867 to form Crossley Brothers. The Coptic Cross was chosen as an emblem for the company in celebration of the brothers Christianity. Crossley brothers bought rights to the Otto four stroke engine, and in 1896 the acquired rights to the Diesel engine as well. In 1901 Crossley started manufacture of petrol engines in Manchester and in 1905 Leyland lorries used these engines. To concentrate on vehicle production Crossley Motors was founded in 1906. Engine production carried on separately until the 1960s. Car production started in 1907 with some very large-engined models before designers AW Reeves and GH Woods designed a 12/14hp model in 1909 and this would become the 15hp in 1910. A 20hp 4,500cc model was introduced in 1909 and this evolved into the 20/25 which became the mainstay of Crossley production through the War years until 1926. A new 19.6hp Crossley with a 3.8-litre engine evolved into the sporting 20/70. A new 14hp (actually 15.6) was launched in 1923, and in 1925 the first Crossley Six engine was launched as the 18/50. and then upgraded to the 3.2-litre 20.9 in 1927. A smaller 1,990cc six cylinder 15.7hp car was introduced in 1928 and from this the hotter 2-litre Sports model was produced; the Lagonda 16/80 used a version of this engine. Crossley couldn't compete with other car manufacturers during the 1930s and stopped car production in 1937 in favour of othere businesses. Commercial vehicle production relied on military orders and did not restart after WWII. Crossley buses continued until they sold out to AEC in 1948 and became part of ACV (Associated Commercial Vehicles).
Crossley 14hp 1924 - badge on radiator. The design is based on a Coptic Cross, chosen to mark the Christian beliefs of the Crossley brothers.
Crossley 14hp 1924. This has a 3-door Tourer body (by Crossley). The engine was a 2,388cc 4-cylinder 31bhp unit rated at 15.6 but sold as a 12/14 or a 14. It was produced from 1922 until 1927 and approximately 5,500 were sold
Crossley 15/30 1925 4-door saloon. The Crossley Fourteen (or 12/14) was launched in 1922, and named the '15/30' for export markets. Its 2,388cc 4-cylinder sidevalve engine was actually rated at 15.7hp. In 1925 and 1926 a vee-screen 4-door sedan was offered.
Crossley 15.7 1929 Sportsman FHC. Power came from a 1,991cc inline six 45bhp engine
Crossley 19.6 1923. Launched at Olympia in 1920, the 19.6 was sold from 1921 to 1926 with 1150 cars leaving the factory. A 4-cylinder monobloc side valve engine rated at 19.6 powered this car. This car wears a 5-seater Tourer body.
Crossley 2-litre Sports 1930. A tuned (62bhp) version of the 15.7hp 1,991cc six cylinder engine (45bhp). The engine of this Crossley was also used in the Lagonda 16/80
Crossley 20.9 1927. A 6-cylinder ohv 2,986cc engine with 4-speed gearbox.
Crossley 25/30 1919 RFC Tender. Called the 'WO' by Crossley (and 'Type-J' by the War Office, 6,000 were sold with a variety of bodies. Powered by a 4,531cc 4-cylinder sv 40bhp engine and built on a 126-inch wheelbase. A more powerful version of the same engine was used for the postwar 25/30.
Crossley DD42 1952 Bus. Powered by a 8600cc Crossley HOE7 Diesel engine. The prototype DD42 was built in 1944 and production ran from 1945 to 1952 with 1100 being made. This Derby Corporation has coachwork by Brush.
Crossley Regis 1939. Originally fitted with an 1122cc Coventry-Climax engine. Body designed by Charles Beauvais.
Crossley Ten 1931 Family Saloon. 1500 Crossley Tens were made between 1931 and 1934, powered by a Coventry Climax type OC 1122 cc engine